In spite of the fact that ‘the Lord was with Joseph’, having resisted temptation, he then suffered terrible injustice (v.19 onwards) and ended up confined in prison (v.20). He lost his liberty but not his freedom.
Even in prison, the Lord was with him.
He ‘showed him kindness and granted him favour in the eyes of the prison warder’ (v.21).
‘The head jailer put Joseph in charge of all the prisoners – he ended up managing the whole operation’ (v.22, MSG) –
‘Because the Lord was with Joseph and gave him success in whatever he did’ (v.23).
Your circumstances may not be ideal. You might feel like you are in prison – literally in prison, or confined like a prisoner in your job, a health issue, a difficult relationship or other circumstances. Yet in the midst of all this, if you stay faithful to God, you can experience his presence with you, his favour in the sight of others, and his blessing on your life. This is the ‘pearl… of great value’ (Matthew 13:45–46). This is your most valuable possession.
Today whilst I was painting in the art studios at university I came across a quote on the wall saying: “A photo can say a thousand words, but a painting can sing!” – Alex Evers.
- Respect them and ask what they need. And if they need help.
- Reflective journey.
- Process of what happened. Expectations.
- Outcome could be that there is no outcome and that’s also ok.
- LISTEN – so critical. Then you’ll really find out what’s needed.
- Be ok with breaking ice and having a few conversations with them before truth really comes.
- Release forms. – protect you and participants.
- Think about what sort of filming / documentary you want it to be.
- Look up documentary ideas: Vimeo.Louis Theroux. Like knows like.
- Video technique: 3/4 seconds before and after shooting. Landscape shooting. Know the setting. Pre film of the context of South Africa.
- Equipment: Microphone. Tripod. Lit well.